23 Jul Meet Our People: Dirk Uys
10 Questions with Restaurant Manager, Dirk Uys
Born and raised in Stellenbosch, our Restaurant Manager, Dirk Uys, is your first point of contact with the Restaurant @ Glen Carlou. He is also a talented artist with a BA Visual Arts degree. He is often wowing us with his incredible works. When he is not drawing, he enjoys cooking and entertaining friends with plenty of good wine.
Get to know him better with these 10 questions:
- What is your favourite Glen Carlou wine?
Quartz Stone Chardonnay
- What do you like to do in your downtime/days off?
During the day I like to spend time in my garden with my dogs, getting my hands dirty and at night in my kitchen, with my partner cooking exciting food with a bottle (or six) of good wine and friends to share it with.
- What is the best wine you have ever tasted? (producer, variety or style)
I have not had the opportunity to travel much so my exposure to wine is basically limited to the Western Cape. There is however so many fantastic wine producers in this region that it is impossible for me to single out one as ‘the best’.
- Where is your favourite holiday destination, why?
Keurboomstrand – we were fortunate enough that my parents could take us there every December holiday when I was growing up. The landscape is unspoilt with amazing beaches stretching as far as the eye can see and the indigenous milkwood forest has trees older than a 1000 years. A truly magical place.
- If you were on a deserted island what three items would you take with you?
Guitar, chilli seeds & a lemon tree (supposing that there is fresh water!)
- If you were not in the hospitality industry, what career would you have entered?
- What is the best part of your job?
Having to taste all of chef Johan Stander’s proposed dishes for the new seasonal menu and pairing it with Glen Carlou wines!
- What is your favourite food – to eat or to make?
Fresh pasta and homemade pizza.
- What is your favourite kitchen gadget?
- Who is your favourite chef?
My sister, Ilse van der Merwe – The Food Fox